Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Bedford SA

Competition League - Division 1
Result Sandy 1st Team 4-3 Bedford SA
Date Saturday 12 December 2009
Kick Off 2.00pm

Match Report

Finally there was some Christmas cheer at Bedford road as Sandy managed their first win for a long time. After last weeks performance against Leighton United the home side had reasons to be positive about the game. The key word used by the management was concentration and Sandy finally manged to produce a second half performance to secure a vital victory.

Sandy started the game strongly as they played the ball around well and dominated the early exchanges. They almost carved out an early opportunity as Craig Baker delivered a cross into the box from the left flank, but no one was able to get on the end of it. Sandy once again were the cause of their own downfall though as after 5 minutes Chris Baines made a rash challenge on a Beds SA player 25 yards out and they were awarded a free kick. The free kick was dispatched with a great strike into the bottom right hand corner of Mark Pallister's goal, leaving him little chance and giving Beds SA the lead against the run of play. The goal stunned Sandy but they slowly started to come back into the game.

On 15 minutes Mark Jennings played a lovely ball through to Ian Hammett who brought the ball under control, but he shot wide through a group of players. Hammett then had another opportunity to equalise as Daniel Bailey played a good ball down the inside left channel, Hammett took the ball on but his shot from 15 yards out flew over the bar when he should of done better. Sandy were moving the ball about nicely with Chris Baines pulling the strings in the centre of midfield. Sandy's defence was once again looking strong despite the early setback and this was giving the team an excellent platform to build on.

However a horrible moment for Sandy keeper Mark Pallister on 25 minutes meant that Bedford extended their lead. One of Bedfords players had a speculative shot from 30 yards out that bounced in front of Pallister and kicked up off the surface, hitting his arm and looping into the net. This deflated Sandy and you had the feeling this could well be one of those afternoons for the home side yet again. Spirits were lifted almost immediatley though as Charlie Seward won a free kick on the left wing. Chris Baines floated a wicked cross into the near post where Phil Beall reached out one of his 'go-go gadget' legs to poke the ball past the keeper, although the keeper did give the effort some help into the net.

With Sandy back in the game they once again lifted their tempo, but were the victim of a dodgy refereeing decision shortly after. A cross field ball was played inside Richard Seldon at Right back and although the linesman flagged for offside the referee played on allowing the Bedford forward to restore their two goal lead. Bedford almost made it four shortly after but as the forward slotted the ball past the advancing Pallister, Phil Bealls legs came to the rescue again, as he intercepted the shot before it crossed the line to clear away. Five minutes before the half and Sandy were back in it again as the rollercoaster first half continued. Chris Baines played a diagonal ball to find Craig Baker down the inside left, the defenedr recovered to tackle him but the ball broke to Ian Hammett inside the box. Hammetts first shot was scuffed badly, but the keeper had dived and was on the floor, allowing Hammett to recover and get to the ball first to slot home at the second attempt. Half time 2 - 3.

Sandy started the second half with confidence and dominated from the outset. Although once again you got the feeling that it may well be one of those games for the team who had worked so hard to get back into the contest. Firstly Charlie Seward missed from 6 yards out, when Ian Hammett capitalised on an error to roll the ball across the six yard for Seward, who didn't connect well and the ball went wide. Then it was Hammett himself who inexplicably missed when through one on one with the keeper. Craig Baker played a great through ball to Hammett whose clever run completely eluded the defence, but through on goal and with all the time in the world he seemed to neither shoot nor square the ball to Daniel Bailey who had broken into the box.

Seward then had another curling effort saved as he shot straight at the keeper from distance. Sandy were creating chances though and it was only to be a matter of time before they pulled level. Andrew Wren and Phil Beall were outstanding at the heart of the Sandy defence and with Richard Seldon and Shane Pope making marrauding runs forward Sandy were looking dangerous.

20 minutes into the half and they were finally level as Hammett made up for his earlier miss to grab his second goal of the contest. Chris Baines flicked on at the near post from a Seward throw in and Hammett found himself unmarked at the back post to slot the ball home from 3 yards. This goal lifted Sandy and they pushed forward at every opportunity looking for a fourth. They were finally rewarded for their efforts with 15 minutes left, when Phil Beall flicked on a Chris Baines corner and Mark Jennings got in front of his defender to deflect the ball into the corner.

Hammett had an opportunity to seal his hat trick after MOTM Chris Baines made a great run into the box, but Hammett fired his cut back over the bar. Steve Jakes on as a second half substitute also had an opportunity to make the lead safe and less nervous, but he hesitated when through on goal allowing the defender to recover his ground and make the tackle.

Sandy held out the last few minutes with some strong defending and although they were slightly nervous, Mak Pallister in teh Sandy goal didn't really have a second half save to make. Manager Daniel Bailey was happy with the win, and pleased that Sandy had finally broken their poor run of results. Final Score 4 - 3.


Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (7)
2. Richard Seldon (8)
3. Shane Pope (8)
4. Mark Jennings (9)
4. Charlie Seward (7)
5. Andrew Wren (8)
9. Ian Hammett (8)
11. Craig Baker (8)
15. Daniel Bailey (8)
15. Chris Baines (9)
17. Phil Beall (8)


5. Brad Smith (6)
12. Steve Jakes (7)

Goal Scorers:

2 x Ian Hammett
1 x Mark Jennings
1 x Phil Beall


2 x Chris Baines
1 x Phil Beall
1 x Craig Baker

Man of the Match:

15. Chris Baines


5. Andrew Wren


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by