Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Bedford Sports Athletic

Competition League - Division One
Result Bedford Sports Athletic 3-2 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 28 August 2010
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy started their new season with a disappointing away loss to Bedford Sports Athletic, but circumstances seemed to contrive against Sandy for the most part of the afternoon in a game that they really could of got something out of. The day hadn't started well with the team missing no less than 5 players including their first choice keeper and left back. Meaning that they only had 12 players for the fixture with Anthony Roberts acting as cover from the bench.

The Referee was then 20 minutes late, causing disruption to both sides. This hold up seemed to effect the visitors more as they struggled to settle and play the sort of football that had been apparent in their pre season games. However it was a harsh decision from the referee that cost Sandy the lead as after twenty minutes he adjudged Adam Hales to have pulled the shirt of a Beds SA forward in the box, and their number 14 stepped up to send stand in keeper Chris Jennings the wrong way.

Prior to this although Beds SA had played the better football they hadn't created an opening and had failed to trouble Jennings in the Sandy goal. Phil Beall and Matt Evans once again formed a solid partnership at the back with Darren Gipson slotting in at left back. Sandy couldn't quite find their attacking fluency and move after move frustratingly broke down for the visitors as their final ball let them down. Playing a 4-5-1 formation they struggled to get Charlie Seward in the game and with Craig Baker struggling with a foot injury he was quite isolated.

However 5 five minutes before half time Sandy drew level as they were awarded a penalty of their own. Dean Hains was pushed over in the box as Ian Hammett delivered a corner, and the ref didn't hesitate to award the kick. Hammett took the kick and sent the keeper the wrong way to equalise and bring Sandy back into the game.

Sandy stated the second half stronger and finally started to play the ball around. Keeping their shape they restricted the home side to speculatie long shots that again failed to trouble Jennings in the Sandy Goal. Mark Jennings and Adam Hales were working well in front of the back four as Sandy defended stoutly. They were rewarded for their efforts 25 minute into the half as one Craig Baker rifled in a shot after a lovely one-two with Charlie Seward, who put the ball on a plate for Baker to finish. It was no less than Sandy deserved as they had worked hard to establish themselves.

with 20 minutes to go it looked to everyone like Sandy would be able to cruise to victory as other than the penalty Bedford SA had not created a threat. However without substitutes and with three people struggling Sandy knew it would be an up hill battle. Unfortunately a mazy run from the left winger brought Beds SA their second penalty of the afternoon as Matt Evans caught the player with a sliding tackle in the box and again number 14 dispatched the penalty to draw the scores level. Five minutes later and the home side were in the lead as Chris Jennings punched a ball clear, only for a Beds SA player to beat both Phil Beall and Darren Gipson to the ball to powerfully shoot home.

Sandy tried to left their heads and get back into the game,and as the rain came down at hillgrounds they almost did. First Charlie Seward rifled a shot just over from 25 yards out which looked like it was dipping the whole way, and then Ian Hammett had a shot from six yards saved by the keeper after a good cross from Dean Hains. Craig Baker also sent a free kick over from 20 yards. Phil Beall even tried to inspire an equaliser with a Lucio type run from the back, but he was closed out and driven wide winning a corner.

The final whistle blew with Sandy still pushing on, and although disappointed player/manager Ian Hammett found it hard to be critical saying 'with only 11 players, and 3 struggling towards the end, a stand in keeper who did very well and two reserves stepping up to the plate, we almost had the three points we deserved. Lots of positives before the Ickwell game on Tuesday.' final score 2 - 3.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Richard Seldon (7)
3. Matt Evans (7)
4. Mark Jennings (7)
4. Charlie Seward (7)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
11. Craig Baker (7)
17. Phil Beall (8)
20. Darren Gipson (7)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Craig Baker
1 x Ian Hammett


1 x Charlie Seward

Man of the Match:

17. Phil Beall


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by