Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Caldecote Reserves

Competition League - Division 1
Result Sandy 1st Team 3-5 Caldecote Reserves
Date Saturday 12 September 2009
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

The afternoon didn't start well for manager Daniel Bailey when he discovered that the league hadn't assigned a referee for this local derby. This meant despite all his best efforts to find a suitable official at short notice that he would have to referee the game for it to go ahead at all. Unfortunatley his team didn't manage to brighten his day as they capitulated to a 5 - 3 defeat against a team that they had high hopes of beating.

Following their good start to the season Sandy failed to turn it around and lost their second league game in a row. The game started positively for Sandy as they managed to get the ball down and play it around using the full width of the bedford road pitch. This being said they failed to create any clear cut opportunities until 15 minutes in when a diagonal ball from Dean Hains found Alex Baker in space, he carried the ball into the box, but his left foot shot was deflected wide by the Caldecote keeper.

25 minutes in and Sandy were behind with a goal very similar to the first goal they conceded in mid week against the same opposition. A long ball from the Caldecote keeper caused havoc in the Sandy defence as it cleared Richard Seldon, Phil Cooper hesitated in the Sandy goal before coming for the ball but this allowed the Caldecote forward to nip between the two of them and calmly lob Cooper as he advanced. The goal shell shocked Sandy as they had been on top and coping well with the Caldecote forwards movement.

Five minutes later Sandy were level, as Ian Hammett was brought down in the box after good work from Brad Smith. It was a stonewall penalty as the Caldecote defender barged Hammett in the back just as he was about to shoot. Andrew Wren, Sandy's penalty taker stepped up to dispatch the penalty into the top right corner, giving the keeper no chance. This seemed to reignite Sandy's confidence in themselves and 35 minutes in they were ahead. Dean Hains took a corner from the left that was well cleared, but only back to Hains feet. He whipped in a great ball second time round and Wren arrived late at the back post to head powerfully past the keeper for his second goal of the game.

Unfortunatley Sandy again let themselves down and allowed Caldecote back into the game who scored with an absolutely stunning effort. Caldecote attacked down the right and then ball broke to their left winger who was open on the edge of the box. His shot from 25 yards gave Phil Cooper absolutely no chance and sailed past him for the equaliser. Half time 2 - 2.

Caldecote started the second half the stronger side again as Sandy allowed them back into the game, and Caldecote scored from long range again to restore their lead 10 minutes in. Sandy replied with some attacking football and Alex Baker went close with a free kick from the edge of the box. Dean Hains also had a shot that sailed over the bar before Sandy managed to equalise. Good play between Brad Smith and Alex Baker worked some space for Smith. Ian Hammett made a late run from midfield and Smith found him with a short diagonal ball, Hammett's first touch took him between the centre backs and he then slotted home past the keeper to bring the scores level.

Alex Baker then almost made it 4 - 3 five minutes later when he cut inside from the left flank, turned his defender inside out and worked a wonderful shooting opportunity only to drag his shot wide. Caldecote then restored their lead with 20 minuets to go, as Joe stevens conceded a free kick on the edge of the box which was dispatched over Cooper in the Sandy goal to give them a 4 - 3 lead.

With five minutes to go, Caldecote wrapped the game up as Phil Beall lost the ball and the Caldecote forward advanced on the Sandy goal to slot home easily past Phil Cooper, giving him no chance.

Sandy's second half performance was severely affected by the loss of Andrew Wren at half time due to illness and then they lost Mark Jennings to injury half way through the seond half. Without their two most dominant players in the air Sandy struggled to contain Caldecotes powerful game and they capitulated as they searched to find the formula that would bring them some points from the game. Manager Daniel Bailey was disappointed by the performance of the team, but felt that attentions must now be turned to Kempston who Sandy visit next week as they try to get their season back on track.  

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Richard Seldon (6)
4. Mark Jennings (6)
5. Andrew Wren (6)
5. Brad Smith (6)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
15. Chris Baines (6)
17. Phil Beall (5)
38. Alex Baker (6)


3. Shane Pope (6)
4. Charlie Seward (6)

Goal Scorers:

2 x Andrew Wren
1 x Ian Hammett


1 x Brad Smith
1 x Ian Hammett

Man of the Match:

9. Ian Hammett


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by