Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Campton Reserves

Competition League - Division 1
Result Sandy 1st Team 2-1 Campton Reserves
Date Saturday 11 April 2009
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy boosted their hopes of avoiding relegation with their second win in a row, for the first time this season. A hard earned 3 points came as a welcome relief to manager Richard Wheatley in a game that could so easily have got away.

Sandy started the game brightly, battling well in midfield closing Campton down quickly and with the defence holding strong Campton struggled to gain a foothold. Dave Smith playing at centre back replacing the absent Andrew Wren looked comfortable and assured as he snuffed out most of Camptons forward play. However Campton did manage one scare in the first half as their striker broke free of the Sandy back line after a poor pass but he shot tamely at Darren Wheatley in the Sandy goal.

Sandy should then have taken the lead as a cross from Craig Baker found an unmarked Kevin Fage and with the goal at his mercy he headed over from six yards out. Jamie Scotcher was causing havoc down Campton's Left flank and a long clearance from Darren Wheatley set him away. Unfortunatley his cross evaded all the players in the box as Sandy failed to capitalise. Thankfully on the half hour mark Sandy took the lead as Kevin Fage won a header on the half way line to flick the ball onto Chris Cooper who through on goal calmly lobbed the onrushing keeper. Half time Sandy 1 Campton 0.

As the second half started, Sandy struggled to assert themselves and Campton took advantage. Their midfield broke in numbers overwhelming the Sandy defence, who held their own for a moment until the ball broke kindly to Campton's number 9, Darren Wheatley got something on the shot but the ball still trickled across the line as Richard Seldon tried valiantly to clear it. The goal seemed to galvanise Campton who then enjoyed a sustained period of pressure as Sandy tried to reassert themselves. 15 minutes from time came a major talking point, the ball broke again for Campton's striker in the inside left channel and his first time lob over a stranded keeper seemed to go over the bar and land on the back of the net. Campton's players were adamant that the ball had gone in and then out of the back of the net, but the referee didn't agree and gave a goal kick.... it's a shame that the sky TV camera's weren't at the game.... nut rest assured it's another incident at high level football where the pundits will be asking for video technology to be introduced.

Five minutes from time Sandy won a penalty which substitute Alex Baker stepped up to take and slot home with confidence to give the home side all three points.   

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Richard Seldon (8)
4. Mark Jennings (8)
11. Craig Baker (8)
12. Steve Jakes (8)
17. Phil Beall (8)
26. Chris Cooper (8)
31. Kevin Fage (8)
34. Darren Wheatley (8)
37. Jamie Scotcher (8)
87. Dave Smith (8)


9. Ian Hammett (7)
38. Alex Baker (7)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Alex Baker
1 x Chris Cooper


1 x Kevin Fage

Man of the Match:

87. Dave Smith


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by