Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Ickwell and Old Warden Res

Competition Cup - Centenery Cup 1st Round
Result Sandy 1st Team 0-1 Ickwell and Old Warden Res
Date Saturday 22 January 2011
Kick Off 1.45pm

Match Report

After a good run of recent results, Sandy exited the Centenary cup with a wimper rather than a roar as they failed to turn up in this local derby against Ickwell and Old Warden.

Manager Ian Hammett had high hopes for a succesful cup run as his side were in good form, Charlie Seward returned to the starting line up after some minutes with the reserves last week and Dave Fish replaced the absent Rob Tapley in centre midfield. The home side looked to start quickly and pressure their opponents not letting them settle and they should have been one nil up in the first couple of minutes as the ball fell to Fish after some good work from Seward but he drilled his shot wide of the far post.

Sandy were dominating the opening exchanges, but their final ball was letting them down which allowed Ickwell to break, spreading the ball wide and stretching the Sandy back line. On fifteen minutes Ickwell took the lead as Lee Threadgold headed home a far post cross as he managed to get inbetween JJ Pekszyc and Richard Seldon. This was the first time that the visitors threatened the Sandy goal and they converted their chance. Phil Beall and Matt Evans were once again superb at the back for the home side as they managed to snuff out every attack, block many shots and then try to launch Sandy forward.

It was a Beall through ball that created the chance for Sandy to equalise, he slotted the ball through to Hammett who was just beaten to the ball by Ickwell's keeper however the ball fell straight to Charlie Seward. Seward turned inside the defender but scuffed his shot to Hammett who tapped the ball home. The celebration was short lived tho as Hammett was flagged for offside. Sandy were getting back into the contest slowly and they forced a succession of corners, with Hammett hitting the post with his third delivery. Hammett then had another chance as Seward dinked a ball over the top, but Hammetts lob on the run went just over the bar.

Frustratingly for the home side though their football was disjointed with Fish, Jennings and Baker all struggling to get into the game in the midfield and JJ's crossing letting him down. During the first half the visitors just seemed to work harder, even though they didn't really create any opportunities. Half time 0 - 1.

The second half didn't see much improvement for the home side, they remained solid at the back and looked relatively untroubled with Beall and Evans again strong. However Sandy just couldn't create a chance to equalise. They seemed to lack a spark that has been present in recent weeks. Ian Hammett made some changes to try and freshen things up but still nothing materialised for the home side.

Ickwell defended solidly throughout as Sandy struggled to impose themselves on the game as it became scrappy in the middle of the park.

The most disappointing fact is that there was little action in the second period, once again Sandy's final ball let them down or an individuals poor control caused a promising move to break down. Hammett will hope for a much improved performance in two weeks time when they visit local rivals Henlow in League action. Final Score 0 - 1.



Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (7)
2. Richard Seldon (6)
3. Shane Pope (6)
3. Matt Evans (8)
4. Charlie Seward (6)
4. Mark Jennings (6)
8. John-Joe Pekszyc (6)
9. Ian Hammett (6)
11. Craig Baker (6)
17. Phil Beall (8)


2. Luke Morgan (6)

Man of the Match:

17. Phil Beall


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by