Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Kempston

Competition League - Division 1
Result Sandy 1st Team 6-0 Kempston
Date Saturday 13 March 2010
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

A splendid performance by Sandy saw them continue their unbeaten run and move into sixth place in the league with an emphatic win over visitors Kempston.


The message from manager Daniel Bailey was start fast and put the visitors under pressure, and start fast the home side did. It looked likely to be an open game from the off as for the opening exchanges took the ball end to end, with first Sandy attacking  down the left through new signing Sam King and then Kempston counter attacking straight away only for Andrew Wren to snuff out the attack.


Within 5 minutes though Sandy were ahead, as Mark Jennings threaded a lovely through ball into the path of Ian Hammett. Hammett cut back inside his defender and curled a left foot shot, which the keeper could only parry into the far top corner.


This goal started a strong period of pressure for Sandy who had settled the better on the uneven playing surface. They didn’t have to wait long for the second goal, as a long ball from Richard Seldon sent Niko Stanchev clear of the defence. Stanchevs initial effort was saved by the Kempston keeper, but the ball rebounded straight to Stanchev who coolly rolled the ball across the goal for Hammett to tap into the empty net.


Sandy’s defence were having an excellent afternoon on their way to keeping a second clean sheet of the New Year. Andrew Wren and Phil Beall were once again outstanding and along with Richard Seldon and Shane Pope they were leaving Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal with little to do.


It was Beall who added Sandy’s third on thirty five minutes when a Chris Baines whipped in a cross from the left. Beall flicked the ball audaciously towards goal only to see it rebound off the post. Even though he was already celebrating he managed to recover quickly as the ball fell kindly back to him to tap home.


With Chris Baines and Mark Jennings making the most of the space in the centre of the park, numerous chances were created. Hammett and Stanchev had the beating of the Kempston back line and it was causing all sorts of problems. Stanchev had a couple of long range efforts that went wide and Hammett could of added to his tally mid way through the half, only to tread on the ball when clear allowing the defence to recover. Half time 3 – 0.


Sandy were keen to maintain their dominance on the tie in the second half, but once again they started a little sluggishly and allowed Kempston a foothold in the game. However for all their possession and play they were limited to long range efforts which failed to trouble Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal. In fact for most of the afternoon Pallister was reduced to a mere spectator.


Finally Sandy managed to get back into the game in a scrappy second half and establish a foothold, yet it was a defensive error that led to their fourth goal. Charlie Seward pressured the centre back into a mistake robbing him of the ball. Seward then with a clear path to goal unleashed a rocket of a shot into the top corner leaving the keeper with no chance.


Before Sandy could increase their lead a change was required at left back when Shane Pope put his body on the line and took a ball full force straight in nuts. Pope never recovered from this and had to be substituted shortly after, much to the amusement of his team mates.


The change didn’t matter though as with 15 minutes to go it was 5 – 0. Dave Smith spun in behind the Kempston defence to collect a pass from Seward and with the keeper narrowing the angle he unselfishly squared the ball to Hammett who tapped in to complete his hat-trick.


Sandy were keen to keep a clean sheet, although once again it seemed they would be denied when Richard Seldon was harshly adjudged to have felled a Kempston player in the box. However this was Pallister’s time to shine and he saved the tame penalty low down to his left to preserve the shutout.


Sam King on his debut for the club was robbed of a goal by a poor offside decision. King anticipated that the defenders would miss a Baines free kick and miss it they did, but as he slotted home the linesman flagged. However with the clock ticking down Sandy made it six, when Hammett scored his fourth of the afternoon. Chris Baines played Hammett clean through and he calmly slotted the ball round the keeper into the bottom corner.


Completing the rout put the icing on the cake for the home side, as they are now unbeaten in their last seven league games and still with a real chance of finishing in the top four come the end of the season. Final Score 6 – 0.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (9)
2. Richard Seldon (9)
3. Shane Pope (9)
4. Mark Jennings (9)
5. Andrew Wren (9)
9. Ian Hammett (10)
13. Niko Stanchev (8)
15. Daniel Bailey (8)
15. Chris Baines (9)
17. Phil Beall (9)


4. Charlie Seward (9)
12. Steve Jakes (8)
87. Dave Smith (8)

Goal Scorers:

4 x Ian Hammett
1 x Charlie Seward
1 x Phil Beall


2 x Chris Baines
1 x Niko Stanchev
1 x Dave Smith
1 x Mark Jennings

Man of the Match:

9. Ian Hammett


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by