Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Kempston

Competition League - Division 1
Result Kempston 2-5 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 19 September 2009
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy FC returned to winning ways this afternoon, but despite some excellent football they still attempted to make hard work of it at times.

Manager Daniel Bailey made some changes before the game following their two league defeats to try and shake up the team a little bit, bringing himself in at left back and switching Richard Seldon back to his usual Right back slot and bringing Craig Baker in on the right hand side. He also stressed in the team talk that Sandy needed to start quickly and start quickly they did as they were one nil up inside 5 minutes.

Sam James played the ball down the left to Ian Hammett who crossed first time into the box, the ball was half cleared and it fell kindly to Mark Jennings who struck the ball first time, the ball taking a slight deflection that allowed it to loop up and over the keeper. It should have been two shortly after as some neat play between Brad Smith and Craig Baker released Ian Hammett whose attempted lob over the keeper went wide.

Hammett had another chance to open his account for the afternoon when he gambled on a ball over the top from Sam James. Again Hammett saw his lob fall agonisingly wide as it clipped the outside of the post. it didn't matter though because on 15 minutes Sandy did double their lead with Hammett and James in the action again. James swung in a corner low to the near post, Hammett beat his defender to the ball to flick it on and Craig Baker had all the time in the world to slot the ball home. At this point Sandy were well on top and if anything it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for Kempston. But almost immediatley they were back in when some slack communication down Sandy's left side saw Kempston's right winger have all the time in the world to pick out a free man in the box to head home. 2 - 1.

Sandy though stuck to their guns and though and Brad Smith played a lovely through ball to Ian Hammett, who drove the ball across the goal with his left foot, but it was just too hard for Chris Baines or Craig Baker to get on the end of. Hammett was having one of those afternoons where he could of been there all day and not scored as he had another chance to extend the lead after being set through by Mark Jennings. This time he dragged his right foot shot wide. Then disaster for Sandy as they allowed Kempston back in it. Kempston's second goal came from a throw in from the right, which was flicked on to their centre forward who unmarked headed home. Brad Smith then missed a good chance to restore the lead after combining well with Hammett he dragged his right foot shot wide of the upright.

Other than Sandy's two defensive lapses they had once again looked back to their solid selves of preseason as Andrew Wren and Phil Beall headed everything away and Richard Seldon kept Kempston's tricky left winger completely quiet. 

Hammett and Smith were to make up for there earlier mistakes though as 10 minutes before half time they combined well to restore Sandy's lead.  Craig Baker played a good ball down Kempston's left to Hammett who carried the ball forward and then squared for Smith to take one touch and slot the ball home. Sandy managed to hold onto their lead this time until the half. half time 3 - 2.

In the second half it was much of the same as Sandy came out pressing and harassing Kempston at every opportunity. Hammett did finally have the ball in the net 10 minutes in, only to see it ruled out for offside after a lovely through ball from Mark Jennings. Shortly after he then had the ball in the net again after a cross from Richard Seldon, but this time it was ruled out for handball.

With Sandy dominating possession it always looked like they would need that fourth goal, as Kempston looked dangerous on the break. They had a couple of long shots that went wide and then hit the bar, as their forward lobbed Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal only to see the ball bounce on the hard ground and hit the top of the bar. To Sandy's relief they did get the fourth 20 minutes into the half when Craig Baker played the ball over the top for Chris Baines to run through and finish well from a tight angle. 

Craig Baker then almost added a fifth himself after a long throw from Substitute Dean Hains fells to him in the box, but his shot took a deflection over the bar for a corner as a defender threw himself in front of the ball. Dean Hains then in the thick of the action after coming on crossed well for Ian Hammett to head over.

Again Kempston pushed forward but were kept out by some stoic Sandy defending as Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal was once again reduced to something of a spectator for most of the half. With 2 minutes to go Sandy made it five when Sam James excellent run ended in him being brought down, but he got up and slotted home the resulting penalty calmly to the keepers left, sending him the wrong way.

This capped an excellent all round performance from Sandy that saw them return to winning ways much to the delight of manager Daniel Bailey.

Final Score 5 - 2.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (8)
2. Richard Seldon (9)
4. Mark Jennings (8)
5. Andrew Wren (8)
5. Brad Smith (8)
8. Sam James (7)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
11. Craig Baker (8)
15. Daniel Bailey (7)
15. Chris Baines (8)
17. Phil Beall (8)


26. Chris Cooper (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Brad Smith
1 x Craig Baker
1 x Sam James
1 x Mark Jennings
1 x Chris Baines


2 x Ian Hammett
1 x Sam James
1 x Craig Baker

Man of the Match:

2. Richard Seldon


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by