Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Luton Old Boys

Competition Friendly - Pre Season Friendly
Result Sandy 1st Team 2-2 Luton Old Boys
Date Thursday 13 August 2009
Kick Off 6.30pm

Match Report

Sandy first team finally managed to get their pre season campaign off to a start following three postponements. This game looked anything but certain to go ahead though as the opposition didn't manage to arrive at Bedford Road until 18:55, a full 25 minutes after the arranged kick off time.

Much to manager Daniel Bailey's relief they did arrive and the game got under way.

Both teams settled quickly, using all the space that Sandy's large pitch provides to play some flowing football. Debutant Sam James was terrorising the Luton Old Boys right back, and some excellent play saw him beat two players before delivering the ball into the six yard box. Unfortunately Sandy's forwards hadn't anticipated the good work and failed to fill the box.

Despite continued possession both Sandy and Luton failed to create clear opportunities as the final ball let them down. That was until the ball broke to Dan Threadgold 25 yards from the Luton goal. Dan controlled the ball, turned took one step a blasted the ball into the bottom left hand corner past a surprised Luton keeper. 1 - 0 Sandy.

This goal seemed to spark the game into life and a series of heavy yet fair challenges followed from both sides, as each tried to establish their dominance in the game. Sam James had a good chance to extend Sandy's lead after some excellent work, but he shot tamely wide. The Luton were level. They had a corner which Sandy failed to clear, as the ball came back in, it was neatly controlled by The Luton Number 3 who beat two players before nudging the ball into the path of their foward who toe poked the ball past James Day in the Sandy goal.

5 minutes later Sandy were ahead again, as Sam James made no mistake following a defensive mix up, to seize on the loose ball and shoot past the stranded Luton keeper. Half Time 2 - 1

Sandy made changes at the half, but managed to pick up were they left off playing some flowing football. Mark Jennings and Craig Baker were controlling the middle of the park as Sandy looked to add to their lead. Both Leon Bryan and Steve Monks had shots that sailed wide, and Dan Threadgold was crowded out just in time by Luton defenders after being put through by Ian Hammett.

Andrew Wren continued to marshall the Sandy defence well as he and Phil Beale renewed their central defensive partnership, but both were unable to stop the Luton equaliser in the last minute of the game. Luton's number three who had an outstanding game, picked up the loose ball and ran across the edge of the 18 yard box with Richard Seldon in pursuit before unleashing a thundering shot from 20 yards which flew into the top corner.

Manager Daniel Bailey was disappointed not to cling onto the lead, but felt that the team performed very well. Final score 2 - 2

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

4. Mark Jennings (7)
5. Andrew Wren (8)
8. Sam James (8)
11. Craig Baker (7)
17. Phil Beall (7)
26. Chris Cooper (7)


2. Richard Seldon (7)
3. Shane Pope (6)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
15. Daniel Bailey (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Sam James


Man of the Match:

8. Sam James


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by