Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Marabese Ceramics

Competition Cup - Biggleswade Knock Out Cup Preliminary Round
Result Sandy 1st Team 2-0 Marabese Ceramics
Date Wednesday 19 August 2009
Kick Off 6.30pm

Match Report

An excellent performance from the home side ensured a first round tie against Dunton was the reward for their efforts on a very hot summers evening at Bedford Road.

Sandy had to take a break from their pre-season friendly schedule to play their first competitive game of the season in the prelim round of the Biggleswade Knock Out Cup. Sandy managed to take the momentum from their weekend win in the Jess Piggott Trophy into this game and started strongly as they worked hard to deny Marabese time and space on the ball.

There were few clear cut chances early on as the final ball wasn't quite on the money. However Dan Threadgold forced the Marabese keeper into action after 10 minutes with a long range effort, Steve Monks also tried his luck with shot from the edge of the box that curled just wide.

After twenty three minutes Sandy took the lead, as a through ball from Mark Jennings split the defence. Ian Hammett timed his run to perfection to break the offside trap, he rounded the advancing keeper knocking the ball the opposite side and then calmly slotted home into the empty net. Ten minutes later it was two nil as Ian Hammett who had been a thorn in the Marabese defence grabbed his second. Dan Threadgold won the ball about thirty yards out, and then beat two Marabese players to slot the ball through the defensive line, Ian Hammett angled his run well across the edge of the box from right to left straight into the path of the pass. Hammett controlled with his right and then shot with his left into the far corner.  2 - 0 Sandy.

Sandy continued to press before half time as Marabese resorted to a long ball game. Andrew Wren continued his good pre season form, by heading away almost everything that was thrown at him, and the Sandy defence stood strong ensuring that keeper James Day had a very uneventful first half.

Marabese came into the game in the second half as they pushed forward looking for a goal. However Sandy withstood all the pressure that was being applied and tried to take advantage on the counter attack. Ian Hammett latched onto a through ball from Andrew Wren 15 minutes into the half, but his left foot shot sailed over the bar.

James Day was forced into his first real save of the match halfway through the second period as Marabese broked quickly after a Sandy attack and the defence was out of position. Marabese's left winger was in on goal, but Day stood big in the goal and saved with his feet.

Sandy could have had further goals in the second half as first Phil Beall headed wide from six yards following a well worked corner by Sandy. Then Brad Dennis was put clean through by an Andrew Wren long ball, only to shoot wide when one on one with the keeper. Craig Baker also tested the keeper with a couple of long range efforts that were saved.  

The last fifteen minutes showed that Sandy hadn't quite finished their pre season preparations as a lack of fitness began to tell in the extreme heat. That being said Sandy continued to dominate the match, but were just let down by their final ball and decision making. Final Score 2 - 0. 

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Richard Seldon (7)
4. Mark Jennings (7)
5. Andrew Wren (7)
8. Sam James (7)
9. Ian Hammett (8)
11. Craig Baker (8)
17. Phil Beall (7)


3. Shane Pope (6)

Goal Scorers:

2 x Ian Hammett


1 x Mark Jennings

Man of the Match:

9. Ian Hammett


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by