Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Meltis Albion

Competition League - Division 1
Result Sandy 1st Team 1-3 Meltis Albion
Date Saturday 17 October 2009
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy endured another frustrating afternoon at Bedford Road as an improved performance failed to bring them any reward as they lost their second game in row. Having now not won for four games, Sandy's early season promise and good form seems to have deserted them as they are struggling to both keep clean sheets and score goals.

Manager Daniel Bailey made a couple of changes to the starting line up in an attemot to freshen things up. Charlie Seward was called up from the reserve team squad after a couple of promising performances for the reserve side and he immediatley struck up a good partnership with Ian Hammett in the Sandy front line. They combined early in the game to almost open the scoring when Seward laid the ball into Hammett's path inside the box, but his snapshot went agonisingly wide.

Despite early pressure from Sandy, Meltis settled the quickest into the contest and after hitting the post with a long range effort opened the scoring after 10 minutes. Meltis played a lovely passing move through the Sandy midfield, which left the Sandy backline exposed. Andrew Wren couldn't intercept the ball as a 1-2 was played allowing the Meltis forward to slot the ball home past a stranded Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal. This goal against the early run of play seemed to knock the momentum out of Sandy, and they struggled to recover.

Meltis enjoyed a period of prolonged pressure as Sandy struggled to string passes together, and once again their final ball let them down. Charlie Seward and Ian Hammett did combine twenty minutes in when Richard Seldon played a lovely ball down the right flank to find Hammett. Hammett volleyed the cross first time into Seward whose touch took him away from the defender, but his shot was deflected wide as the defender recovered at the last minute to block the shot. Chris Baines then had a speculative effort from the edge of the box after being teed up by Craig Baker, but his shot went over.

Sandy's backline were working hard to repel Meltis attacks, with Phil Beall and Andrew Wren again coming under large amounts of pressure throughout the game. For the most part they managed to restrict Meltis to further long range efforts, and a succession of corners which failed to trouble Mark Pallister. However Meltis did make it two on 35 minutes when again another good passing moved carved Sandy open as players divided into challenges. Once again Pallister was left exposed and the Meltis forward finished well.

This second goal did seem to finally galvanise Sandy as with five minutes left they managed to get on the score sheet. Mark Jennings played a first time through ball which Ian Hammett latched onto. Hammett then delivered a lovely ball into the corridor of uncertainty between the keeper and the back four, which found Craig Baker who chipped the advancing keeper. Despite some continued pressure Sandy couldn't find the equaliser before half time. Half Time 1 - 2.

Sandy started the second half as they had finished the first and they came out with some intent to try and get back into the game. Despite some better football they failed to create any clear cut opportunities which would work the Meltis Keeper. Hammett did manage to break free down the right on two occassions after being released at first by Charlie Seward and then by Daniel Bailey but both times his driven cross failed to beat the first man and find players in the box.

Hammett then managed to latch onto a deflected through ball, and although he turned the defender inside out, he couldn't quite work an opening as the defender deflected his shot away for a corner. Andrew Wren then headed wide from the resulting corner, which was well delivered by Craig Baker.

Meltis began to gain more of a foothold in the second half, and Mark Pallister as well as the defenders in front of him were by far the busier. Meltis had a succession of corners and as with the first half they managed to score against the run of play. The corner was floated in from the left hand side, and missed by Pallister and Sandy defenders at the near post. Andrew Wren was surprised that the ball came to him on the line and the ball went through his legs, to be finished easily by a Meltis forward.

Sandy tried their best to get back into the game, and Hammett should have pulled a goal back when he latched onto an error from the Meltis backline. However he shot over from 8 yards when he should have done better. Other than this Sandy failed to create a clear cut opportunity as their poor form continued.

Meltis continued to display some good football and a set piece almost brought them a fourth goal, but for some good goalkeeping from Mark Pallister. The freekick took a deflection off the wall which wrong footed Pallister, but he recovered well to palm the ball away for a corner. Sandy managed to hold out, but failed to get back into the game and again came away from the game disappointed.

They will hope to get their season back on track against Kempston Hammers Sports next weekend.



Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (6)
2. Richard Seldon (6)
3. Shane Pope (6)
4. Mark Jennings (6)
4. Charlie Seward (7)
5. Brad Smith (6)
5. Andrew Wren (6)
9. Ian Hammett (6)
11. Craig Baker (7)
15. Chris Baines (7)
17. Phil Beall (6)


15. Daniel Bailey (7)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Craig Baker


1 x Ian Hammett

Man of the Match:

11. Craig Baker


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by