Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Potton Wanderers

Competition League - Division One
Result Potton Wanderers 5-1 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 25 September 2010
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

It was very much a case of deja vu for Sandy as they visited high flying Potton Wanderers in this derby clash. Sandy for the first time this season actually had a full squad for the fixture, with the only absentees being Ray Mckeating, Paul Booth, and Darren Gipson all missing through injury. Dean Hains returned to the team from suspension and Chris Jennings returned from injury.

Knowing the potential quality of the opposition manager Ian Hammett decided to switch to a 4-5-1 formation which had served the side well in the pre season friendly fixtures. It was his hope that the team would be compact and snuff out the threat of the home side, and the early first half exchanges seemed to reinforce that thought as Sandy competed well with Potton. The home side had obvious quality, but Sandy matched them stride for stride throughout the first twenty minutes. John Joe Peksyzc and Mark Jennings were playing well in the holding midfield roles ensuring that any flowing football was crowded out and Potton had to resort to a long ball game as Sandy held their shape well. This played into the hands of the visitors as the back four dealt well with everything that was thrown at them.

Despite their solid play Sandy fell behind after twenty minutes to a splendid free kick, that was curled into the top corner over the wall leaving keeper Mark Pallister with no chance. Sandy felt a little hard done by for the second week running as again it was a very soft award of the kick. Sandy lifted themselves and began to create some chances. Dean Hains hit the bar with a lobbed effort after pressurising the defence into a mistake and then he couldn't quite get onto the end of a Shane Pope cross.  However Sandy did pull level with a wonderful passing move that cut the home side to pieces. JJ Pekszyc played the ball into Charlie Seward, who held it and turned playing a lovely throug ball in behind the left back, Hains raced down the wing and into the box, as the keeper came out he squared the ball to the back post, where Ian Hammett had made up the ground to slot the ball home into the empty net. It was a splendid counter attack move that the away side had produced to stun Potton.

It was an even half following that, although Sandy did have Mark Pallister to thank for keeping the scores level as he pulled off two magnificent saves from close range, and Matt evans who cleared a ball off the line. Potton did hit the post as well, but Sandy threatened from several corners as they seemed to create problems when they pressured the Potton Back line. However the scores stayed level till half time.  

Once again it had been a solid first half performance and the away side looked like they could well get something from the game, but once again the second half was to be there undoing. The Home side suddenly seemed to have more time on the ball and began to create more opportunities, however these were still mainly reduced to speculative long range efforts that never really troubled Pallister in the Sandy goal until 15 minutes into the half. Pallister who had looked solid all afternoon, producing his best perfomrance of the season so far somehow spilled an effort from long range right into the path of a Potton forward who didn't waste the opportunity to tap the ball home. It was harsh on the Sandy keeper and the team. It was then to go from bad to worse, as Potton's left winger went on a mazy dribble beating three players who all dived in to challenges before being brought down in the box by Mark Jennings who once again conceeded a penalty. The same player stepped up to complete his hat trick and extend the home sides lead.

Sandy tried to lift themselves by bringing on fresh legs in the middle of the park with Chris Jennings replacing JJ Pekszyc. This gave the away side some impetus and they should have pulled a goal back shortly after, as Ian Hammetts left foot cross found Charlie Seward all alone six yards out with only the keeper to beat. Seward didn't realise the time that he had though and he volleyed over from close range. Dean Hains almost created another opportunity as he burst down the right beating the full back, but his driven cross couldn't find Hammett at the back post. As Sandy searched for a way back into the game, Potton caught them on the counter attack to add a fourth goal, and then scored a fifth from the restart as Shane Pope gave the ball away allowing Dean Hamilton in to score.

In the last ten minutes Hammett shot wide with a first time effort from the edge of the box after being released by Craig Baker, and Tom Fullbrook shot over from a difficult angle after being found by a Richard Seldon through ball. The scoreline could have been worse, but Chris Jennings managed to clear a cross/shot off of the line. The scoreline was harsh on the visitors, but once again they only seemed to play for 65-70 minutes and for the second week running somehow managed to lose a game 5-1 when 1-1 after 65 minutes. Manager Ian Hammett was clearly frustrated at the final whistle, and will hope that they can turn it around at home to Brache Community Reserves next week.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (6)
2. Richard Seldon (7)
3. Shane Pope (6)
3. Matt Evans (6)
4. Charlie Seward (6)
4. Mark Jennings (6)
8. John-Joe Pekszyc (7)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
11. Craig Baker (6)
17. Phil Beall (7)


11. Tommy Simpson (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Ian Hammett


Man of the Match:

2. Richard Seldon


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by