Sandy Reserves: Match Report v AFC Turvey

Competition League - Division Four
Result AFC Turvey 4-2 Sandy Reserves
Date Saturday 23 October 2010
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy faced a tougher test this week against unbeaten opponents AFC Turvey at The Stonefields Recreation Ground.Manager Graham Ward was once again forced to make slight changes to his line up again due to availability of his squad. Phil Cooper was back in goal along with the return of Adam Hales and Reece Pope. 

As the previous week, Sandy dominated for long periods and played the better football. AFC Turvey looked a bit ruffled. Confidence was being gained throughout the game which allowed Sandy FC to play good football from the back, through to the midfield and forward line. Good defensive work from the back 4 marshaled by the ever present Matt Gedney. Reece Pope also settled in very quickly after a long absence from the Team. 

Sandy FC dominated the first 25 minutes and you wouldn’t know from the two sides who was top of the league. Against the run of play, AFC Turvey broke away and scored a good individual goal in the 20th minute. However, Sandy heads didn’t drop and they continued to pressure and push forward to create openings and numerous chances.

Excellent running and work from MotM Dave Harris allowed Brad Smith and the midfield to dominate in places.In the 30minute, the hard work was rewarded when Brad Dennis received the ball and hit a low powerful shot from 20 yards that beat the home keeper. AFC Turvey looked shocked. 

In the 35th minute, a lack of concentration allowed the centre forward time and space to turn in the 6 yard area. The forward coolly put the ball past Phil Cooper against the run of play. 2-1. Again, Sandy FC picked themselves up and pushed forward. At half time – Graham Ward praised the team and gave instructions to be composed, keep tight and keep working hard.

The second half started well similar the first. Both sides played attacking football, which made both defence’s work hard to cancel out the attacks. A fluky goal in the 55th minute came down the right hand wing. The right midfield player hit a cross from the touch line and somehow it ended up in the back of the net. The ball flew over Phil Cooper’s head with no chance. 3-1

Sandy came forward again with some great work from midfield. Eventually, a long ball from Matt Baines in the 65th minute found Brad Dennis who flicked it on to Dave Harris who scored to make it 3-2. Confidence was high again looking for the final equaliser. 3 substitutes were used, allowing Tom Smith to replace Adam Hales who had worked hard. It was so frustrating when AFC Turvey scored a 4th goal in the 75th minute.

Matt Gedney was booked after deliberately tripping an attacking player just outside the penalty area. Graham Ward replaced Adam Jakes, who got a knock earlier in the game, with Marcus Tait. The side pushed forward by playing 3 at the back, and playing Marcus in front of them. This allowed Brad Smith to push up.

Anthony Roberts also came on with 8 minutes to go, for Brad Dennis, who worked hard. The final minutes were very encouraging with some excellent football played by Sandy FC throughout the game. Graham Ward congratulated the squad for a good Team performance and emphasised that Sandy had matched the league leaders for most of the game.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

12. Dean Hill (7)
15. Reece Pope (7)
16. Adam Hales (7)
17. Danny Hoole (7)
20. Matt Baines (8)
21. Adam Jakes (7)
22. Matt Gednay (8)
26. Brad Smith (8)
34. Dave Harris (8)


15. Marcus Tait (6)
69. Anthony Roberts (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Dave Harris


1 x Matt Gednay

Man of the Match:

34. Dave Harris


22. Matt Gednay


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by