Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Caldecote A

Competition League - Division 3
Result Caldecote A 4-3 Sandy Reserves
Date Monday 27 April 2009
Kick Off 6.15pm

Match Report

Sandy went into this game knowing that a win could well boost their chances of finishing two places above their current position in the league table.

Sandy started strong and dominated throughout the first half. Thier first goal came 20 minutes in when Dean Hains lofted the ball over the Caldecote defence for Dave Smith to control beautifully and then take his time to slot the ball past the keeper into the net. Sandy continued to press and nearly went 2-0 ahead when Dan Bailey played a lovely disguised pass behind the opposition's back four for Brad Dennis to latch onto, only to have his shot saved by the keeper.

Caldecote then came close to drawing level when some lacklustre defending allowed Jack Boyd to take the ball into the penalty area only to blast over the bar. However Sandy made their dominance count when a long ball out of defence from Matt Baines allowed Dean Hains to run onto and lob the stranded Caldecote keeper. Half time 2-0.

The secong half started much the same as the first, but Sandy were hard done by 10 minutes in when the referee awarded Caldecote a penalty judging the Sandy keeper Darren Wheatley to have fouled in the box when he clearly made contact with the ball first. This resulted in Wheatley feeling dazed but he continued the game only to be sent the wrong way from the spot kick.

Sandy quickly forgot about the poor penalty decision and only a matter of minutes passed before they restored their 2 goal lead when Liam Evans played the ball forward for Dave Smith to slot coolly past the keeper. 3-1.

Although Sandy never looked like losing 15 minutes of madness was to follow in which their lead was overturned. Caldecote's second goal came from another penalty when Andrew Wren handled from a corner. By this time Wheatley had been replaced by Phil Cooper who was unable to keep the ball out of the net.

Sandy had the opportunity to restore their 2 goal lead when Dean Haines broke free on the right but opted to shoot rather than square the ball to Dave Smith who would have had a simple tap in for his hat-trick. Caldecotes third came minutes later when a complete lack of communication between goalkeeper and defender resulted in Wren heading the ball into his own net. Again only minutes later Sandy conceded their fourth when a Cladecote player found himself with a free header from a corner. 4-3 Caldecote!!

Sandy were unable to salvage a draw with only minute remaining. Sandy now have to win tehir remaining three games to finish higher in the league standings. A feat which manager Daniel Bailey thinks is possible if they continue to dominate games, but cut out individual mistakes.  

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Liam Evans (7)
3. Jamie Bellingham (7)
8. Daniel Bailey (7)
10. Dean Hains (7)
18. Shane Pope (7)
19. Andrew Wren (6)
20. Matt Baines (7)
30. Dave Smith (8)


13. Steve Jakes (7)

Goal Scorers:

2 x Dave Smith
1 x Dean Hains


1 x Dave Smith
1 x Dean Hains
1 x Matt Baines
1 x Liam Evans

Man of the Match:

30. Dave Smith


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by