Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Goldington Hammers

Competition League - Division Four
Result Sandy Reserves 2-3 Goldington Hammers
Date Saturday 05 February 2011
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Graham Ward had a full squad for this outing against Goldington Hammers Reserves FC. Two regular players were unable to get a shirt, due to changes and extra availability of players.

The 3-1-3-1-2 formation was favoured by GW and looked to be very positive on paper. 

New signing Nathan Morris was thrown straight into the Team, due to Jay Pateman not being available (injured). Changes to the formation, caused Reece Pope and Adam Jakes to be placed as substitutes along with Brad Smith (injured) and Matt Baines. 

Sandy FC Reserves started the game very brightly with 5 players in midfield. The standard of football in places was very good to watch and allowed new signing Morris to prove his ability by scoring on his debut in the 20th minute. Goldington Hammers pulled a goal back in the 30th minute, but the attitude and confidence allowed Morris to score his second goal in the 35th minute giving Sandy a comfortable edge on the game.

GW and spectators were impressed by the running and chances created within the first half. Half time score - winning 2-1.

Unfortunately, changes had to be made immediately at half time due to Dean Hill pulling a calf muscle. Matt Baines came on in direct replacement. Within 5 minutes of starting, Baines had an opportunity to make the score 3-1 missing from 5 yards. The game continued with both sides balanced. Goldington Hammers were allowed back into the game and created a number break away chances which put Phil Cooper under pressure. Baines had further opportunities to make the score more respectable, but shot wide.

In the 55th minute, Dave Harris was substituted through injury, to allow Brad Smith to get into the game.  Goldington Hammers started to get into the game and equalised within the 60th minute. Suddenly, Sandy started to implode and allowed Goldington Hammers to gain extra confidence. The shape of the midfield was starting to fade and Manager GW made a change in the 65th minute. GW could sense that the draw was probably the best result as Goldington Hammers attacked the home side more and more.

There was very little composure by Sandy as the first half. Marcus Tait was replaced by Reece Pope who slotted into the right back position. This allowed 4 defenders to defend at the back. Charlie Seward dropped into Tait’s position.  Due to poor defending from the midfield, Goldington Hammers scored again in the 80th minute to make it 2-3.  

The Team continued to muster on and forced a penalty in the 90th minute. There was great work from Morris, who forced the defender to foul the centre forward. At this time, there was a huge disruption when the away supporters invaded the pitch causing players to get involved from both sides.  

The penalty was eventually taken by Charlie Seward who blasted the ball done the middle of the goal straight into the goal keeper’s arms. The Referee blew the final whistle with Sandy losing 2-3.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

9. nathan morris (7)
12. Dean Hill (6)
15. Marcus Tait (6)
16. Adam Hales (6)
21. Charlie Seward (6)
22. Matt Gednay (7)
33. Dan Grinstead (7)
34. Dave Harris (6)
50. John Sheppard (7)


20. Matt Baines (6)
26. Brad Smith (6)

Goal Scorers:

2 x nathan morris


Man of the Match:

9. nathan morris


9. nathan morris
15. Marcus Tait
16. Adam Hales


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by