Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Ickwell and Old Warden Res

Competition League - Division Four
Result Sandy Reserves 2-4 Ickwell and Old Warden Res
Date Saturday 18 February 2012
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

A wet and windy start to the game, Ickwell starting the stronger and having most of the possession. Strong defending and good movement from Phil in goal kept chances and goals to a minimum.

Sandy were breaking well and had space on both wings to run at their defence. The first Sandy goal came in the 15th minute, a clever free kick from Matt Baines approx 20 yards out, floated into the box and Jonnny managed to get to the ball and pass across for Nathan to score close in.

Ickwell pressed again from the restart and on 20 minutes got the equaliser, a free kick into the box only cleared to the edge of the box and their player miskicked the ball looping up over everyone and holding up in the wind and dropping over Phil's head into the goal.

Sandy still pressed on and had two other chances both from set play. The first Matt Flynn floated a ball into the box and Matt Baines got to it but hit his shot over the bar, we reckon he was too close to the goal. The second Jonny took the freekick and fired it low into the box, Adam Hales managed to get a touch on it but not enough as it went just past the wrong side of the post
Half time 1 -1
Second half started well using the space Ryan had on the left, but it was Ryan who had a clear chance with the ball being crossed from the right it came to him on just inside the box with a clear shot on an open goal miskicked it and the defence cleared.

First substitution replacing Ryan Burgess with Danny Hoole with 30 minutes to goOne of Danny's first contributions was to take a corner which Jonny managed to score from.

Sandy kept attacking on the break with Jonny and Nathan working well and a third goal was scored by Nathan having been put through by Jonny. This was disallowed as offside by the Referee, the lineman had not flagged and the ref was near the Centre circle.

After this Ickwell pressed forward and they equalised within 5 minutes.

John Sheppard was replaced with Dan Gipson, John had taken a knock early on in the second half and had tried to continue. 
Ickwell kept pressing forward and chances increasing as the game went on, players tiring slightly. Phil was having a good game in goal and kept us in the game with some great saves.

Unfortunately the pressure told and they scored 2 more goals.Last substitution with 10 minutes to go, replacing Adam Hales with Reece Stratton to try and increase the pressure on Ickwell. Not many chances but the team kept going to the end.

All players had a good game Brad Smith did particularly well in midfield and also tracked back to help the defence even late on in the game. Final Score lost 4 - 2

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

5. Peter Rogan (7)
9. nathan morris (7)
14. Matt Flynn (7)
15. Reece Pope (7)
16. Adam Hales (7)
20. Matt Baines (7)
21. Jonny Stratford (7)
26. Brad Smith (7)
29. Ryan Burgess (7)
50. John Sheppard (7)


3. Darren Gipson (6)
13. Reece Stratton (6)
17. Danny Hoole (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x nathan morris
1 x Jonny Stratford


1 x Jonny Stratford
1 x Danny Hoole


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by