Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Marsh Leys

Competition League - Division 3
Result Marsh Leys 4-2 Sandy Reserves
Date Saturday 18 April 2009
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy were left to rue some missed chances in an open game that Marsh Leys eventually got the upper hand in. Sandy kept the same eleven that started against Dunton and felt that they could take something from the game.

It took them a while to get going and Marsh Leys took an early lead thanks to some good movement from their strikers. It should have been 1-1 minutes later when the ball broke to Ian Hammett six yards out only for him to swivel quickly and shoot over when he should have scored. Sandy took heart from this and although Marsh Leys were creating good chances they equalised shortly after. A good through ball from the hardworking Dan Bailey fell to Dean Haines who hit a first time shot between the keeper and his near post to level the scores.

Sandy continued to improve, and Ian Hammett had a shot from 20 yards which the keeper tipped over after some good work from Craig Morse and Brad Dennis. Marsh Leys managed to regain the lead just before halftime when their forward was allowed to control the ball and shoot in the box with 4 players around him leaving Matt Couldridge with no chance. 2-1 at half time.

Sandy tried to lift themselves in the second half as the midfield worked hard to try and create chances. Brad Dennis had a shot that went just wide after good work between him and Ian Hammett, and more good work from Sandy saw them win a succession of corners as they pressed for an equaliser. With Twenty two minutes to go Marsh Leys extended their lead only for Sandy to come straight back... Matt Baines floated a free kick from the half way line into the box, that eluded the Marsh Leys back line. Ian Hammett nipped in behind to control first time and shoot low inside the keepers near post. 3 - 2.

It should have been all square five minutes later, when Dan Bailey set Dean Haines free on the right, he cut into the box and deftly lobbed the on rushing keeper. The ball rebounded off the bar and Ian Hammett headed the ball goalwards towards the empty net thinking it a formality only for the Marsh Leys keeper to have recovered and punch the ball away. Sandy then continued to press for an equaliser but after good approach play their final ball let them down. Marsh Leys put the game out of reach with three minutes to go.

Manager Dan Bailey was happy with the performance, but felt that his team could have taken something from the match. 

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Liam Evans (7)
3. Jamie Bellingham (7)
6. Matt Couldridge (7)
7. Craig Morse (7)
8. Daniel Bailey (8)
10. Dean Hains (8)
12. Joe Stevens (8)
18. Shane Pope (7)
20. Matt Baines (7)


24. Graham Ward (7)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Dean Hains


1 x Matt Baines
1 x Daniel Bailey

Man of the Match:

8. Daniel Bailey


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by