Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Sharnbrook Reserves

Competition Friendly - Pre Season Friendly
Result Sandy Reserves 0-1 Sharnbrook Reserves
Date Thursday 20 August 2009
Kick Off 6.30pm

Match Report

Sandy Reserves pre season continued with a hard working performance against the newly formed Sharnbrook Reserves side.

Prior to the game manager Graham Ward wanted the focus very much to be on teamwork as well as experimenting with different players in various positions to learn as much about his squad as he possibly could. On the basis of this hard working performance he will be pleased with the work ethic that his team showed.

The first half was a war of attrition as both sides struggled to dominate possession and create chances. Sandy battled hard, but after twenty minutes were beginning to get overrun as Sharnbrook played some passing football. Manager Graham Ward reshuffled the midfield which became more robust and provide better stability to the team. Sandys Defence were working well to cancel out the quick forward line of Sharnbrook and Phil Cooper in the Sandy goal had little to do as Sharnbrook failed to hit the target when the opportunity did arise.

On thirty minutes Brad Dennis could have given Sandy the lead, as he beat the Sharnbrook centre back to the ball on the halfway line to break free of the defence. He carried the ball to the edge of the box before shooting as the defenders caught up to him. Unfortunately his shot drifted high and wide as the Keeper advanced. Ben Walton Smith also had a mazy run down the left flank beating two players, but his cross flashed harmlessly across the face of the Sharnbrook goal.

The Second half saw more changes, but the game followed a similar pattern. Sandy almost scored in the first few minutes when Brad Dennis intercepted a pass from the Sharnbrook left back to advance on goal, the defender recovered to make the tackle but played the ball past the keeper towards his own goal. Another Sharnbrook defender recovered and rushed to clear the ball, but his clearance was charged down by Dennis who thought that he had scored only to see the rebound fly inches over the bar.

Joe Stevens and Reece Pope were having a solid game at the heart of the Sandy defence and were limiting Sharnbrook to few chances despite their amount of possession. In the last five minutes Sandy's stoic defence was breached as a ball was played low into the box and Sharnbrooks left winger beat Peter Norman to the ball to shoot first time under Phil Cooper and steal a win for the visitors.

Manager Graham Ward was again disappointed to lose the game, but felt that his team had given 100% effort and had deserved a draw at the very least after matching a good Sharnbrook side.  

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Liam Evans (7)
9. Leon Bryan (6)
12. Dean Hill (5)
12. Joe Stevens (8)
15. Marcus Tait (6)
20. Matt Baines (5)
24. Graham Ward (6)
29. Peter Norman (7)


14. Matt Flynn (6)
15. Reece Pope (7)
31. Ben Walton-Smtih (7)
69. Anthony Roberts (6)

Man of the Match:

12. Joe Stevens


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by