Match Report

Caldecote Reserves

20 Nov 2010   2.00PM   Division One

Sandy 1st Team 3-1 Caldecote Reserves

It seems that Sandy have finally found some form as they extended their unbeaten run to 3 games with a splendid performance against a solid Caldecote side putting some distance between themselves and the relegation zone although they only stayed in ninth place in the league as other results went against them.

After two good results the side came into this match full of confidence, that coupled with the fact that they had a full strength squad for the first time this season with the exception of Dean Hains and Mark Westbrook. Sandy started the contest strongly, looking to impose themselves early on the visitors and they found their rhythym early on. They dominated the opening few minutes, winning a couple of corners but failing to create any clear cut chances.

When Caldecote did start to get a foothold in the game, Sandy's defence was excellent. Richard Seldon who was having a strong game kept the scoreline 0 - 0 when he cleared a header off the line from a corner. Phil Beall and Matt Evans were outstanding at centre back and Shane Pope continued his splendid form at left back. This ensured that Mark Pallister in the Sandy goal had little to do except take goalkicks. However when called upon Pally ensured that he held any shots well despite tricky conditions. It was though a goalkeeping error that gifted Caldecote the lead, Pally raced out of his box to clear a long ball, but it skidded off the surface causing him to miss his kick and allowing the forward to nip round him and get the ball. He slotted it home into the empty net, before Phil Beall could get to him.

This was harsh on the home side who had been solid throughout. Ian Hammett almost gave them the lead when he broke the offside trap only to see his shot deflected away for a corner off the keeper. Hammett then had a left foot shot saved after he had cut inside after a run down the right. Craig Baker had a header that went just wide and Ray Mckeating had a long range effort well held by the keeper. Baker also hit the bar with a long range effort from the right wing. It was Charlie Seward though with his third goal in as many games that came to Sandy's rescue five minutes before half time. Craig Baker made a good run into the box, but when he should of squared it to Ian Hammett who would of had a tap in, he was tackled. The ball broke to Seward on the edge of the box and his powerful shot flew into the bottom far corner. It was an excellent strike and no more than the home side deserved. They continued to dominate for the rest of the half, but once again couldn't quite find the final ball to score. Half time 1-1.

Sandy knew that if they continued to play good football that three points would be their's for the the taking, and right from kick off in the second half they did that. A lovely passing move retaining possession for two minutes culminated in a corner being won. Ian Hammett curled the corner in and Phil Beall headed just wide at the near post. This sparked a period of dominance again for Sandy as they were winning their battles all over the field.  It wasn't going to be long before they took the lead and sure enough ten minutes in they were 2-1 ahead. Ray McKeating flicked the ball on from a Mark Pallister goal kick, Hammett won the second flick to release Craig Baker who cooly curled the ball round the keeper and into the empty net from 18 yards out. Route one stuff but very succesful.

This goal did spur Caldecote into life, but Sandy brought on some fresh legs in midfield with the return of JJ Pekszyc after work related absence. JJ brought some added energy to the centre of the park and within moments of getting on the pitch he was involved. Bursting from centre midfield down the centre to be found by an Ian Hammett pass. However he couldn't quite get free into the box and te ball was cleared. JJ then had another chance after some good play down the left between Seward and Hammett. Sewards cross found JJ in the box, but his left foot shot was straight at the keeper.

It was Craig Baker though with his second goal of the game that extended Sandy's lead as he collected a Chris Jennings throw in on the dge of the box, to powerully shot home from distance leaving the keeper no chance. He almost had his hat trick shortly after when Hammett collected a through ball from Mark Jennings and played a wicked ball into the box, but Baker's shot was smothered by the keeper. Despite their strong position Caldecote were trying to get back into the game and they did hit the bar with a long range effort and Richard Seldon also had to make his second goalline clearance with a goal saving challenge at the back post, but Sandy stayed strong giving Caldecote nothing with an error free second half performance.

Ian Hammett's goalscoring woes of recent weeks continued as after being released by JJ down the inside right, he shot straight at the keeper when he should of scored. However on two occassion he almost created chances for Charlie Seward until defenders made last ditch tackles to deny him the chance to score. Sandy looked comfortable at 3 -1 and held on for the win. They will now hope to extend their run to four games when they take on bottom of the table Luton Old Boys next week. Final Score 3 - 1.