Match Report


28 Mar 2009   2.30PM   Division 1

Kempston 2-1 Sandy 1st Team

Sandy were left to rue a missed opportunity to gain a well deserved three points in the battle to avoid relegation. This was a game that was dominated from the start by Sandy, and those watching would have been hard pressed to tell that either team were battling relegation.

The match couldn't of started any better for Sandy, as straight from the kick off they put together a fantastic passage of passing that resulted in the opening goal. The ball was played along the back line from Andrew Wren to Phil Beall to Shane Wheatley, who then played the ball into the inside right channel to forward Chris Cooper. Ian Hammett playing on the right wing overlapped taking the ball to the byline and into the box before cutting the ball back to the edge of the six yard box where Kevin Fage darted in to slot home. Kempston were stunned.

The next 30 minutes were dominated by Sandy who should really have made their pressure count and scored again. Chris Cooper had several long range shots that went wide, and Kevin Fage had a couple of good chances that went begging as Kempstons defence were troubled by the pressure. The best chance fell to man of the match Craig Baker, who collected the ball after a late run into the box, and with the goal at his mercy shot straight at the keeper who saved well with his legs. 

5 minutes from half time Sandy were dealt a hammer blow, as from a sandy free kick Kempston cleared their lines with a long ball up field, which fell kindly for their striker who slotted home a superb finish to level the scores from Kempstons first real attack.

The second half proved to be much of the same as Sandy dominated for long periods, but failed to capitilise. Kevin Fage again missed a good chance when though on goal, lobbing just over the keeper and the bar. With fifteen minutes to go and Sandy searching for the winner, another Kempston counter attack ended in heart break for the team, as a long ball down the left wing of Kempston fell kindly to their left back who managed to cross through a crowd of players at the front post for two Kempston players to creep in unmarked at the back post to score the winner. 

Sandy tried desperately to reply, as Ian Hammett couldn't quite squeeze a cut back past the near post defender with four waiting players in the box, and then another cross from the right caused all sorts of problems for the Kempston defenders who managed to clear their lines with Craig Morse waiting to pounce for Sandy.

Unfortunately the final whistle saved Kempston and gave them all three points.