Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Caldecote Reserves

Competition Cup - East Beds Charity Cup 2nd Round
Result Sandy 1st Team 3-3 Caldecote Reserves
Sandy 1st Team lost 4-5 on penalties
Date Tuesday 08 September 2009
Kick Off 6.15pm

Match Report

It took penalties to decide this second round tie as Sandy came from behind only to crash out at the hands of the dreaded penaly shoot out. Playing a cup tie on an early september evening meant that there would be little time to squeeze in a whole game, but in the end as the light faded Caldecote took the honours in the first of two games between the teams in five days.

Sandy were eager to bounce back to winning ways after their first league defeat of the season on Saturday, unfortunately Sandy seemed to be a little hung over from the weekends result as they struggled to get going. Caldecote dominated the opening exchanges in terms of possession, and Sandy's usually robust defence looked to be cracking under the strain of Caldecote's good football. However it was an error rather than good football that brought about the opening goal, a long ball in behind the Sandy defence caused confusion between Andrew Wren and Mark Pallister. Wren failed to connect with his header back to Pallister allowing Caldecote forward Jack Boyd to nip in between the two and lob the stranded Sandy keeper.

Sandy allowed this goal to affect them somewhat and after 27 minutes they were 2 - 0 down as Tom Dupey reacted fastest to a shot which rebounded off the Sandy post to beat Richard Seldon to the ball and tap home from six yards. This second goal did seem to galvanise Sandy and they pushed forward, they thought they had clawed a goal back on 40 minutes when Brad Smith drilled a ball into the box for Sam James to finish well, but the linesman had flagged for offside. Sandy also began to win a session of free kicks in dangerous area's but they frustratingly came to nothing. Half Time 2 - 0.

Sandy made changes at half time bringing Craig Baker on in the centre of midfield with manager Daniel Bailey shifting to right back to fill in for the injured Joe Stevens. The change almost brought about immediate results as Baker saw his 25 yard effort crash against the post with the Caldecote keeper well beaten. Five minutes in Sandy did get the goal they were looking for as Craig Baker crossed for Ian Hammett to head home from close range. This goal triggered a period of good football by the home side, as they managed to get wingers Dean Hains and Sam James into the game and they began to cause havoc down the flanks. Hains almost equalised from a James cross but his first time effort went the wrong side of the upright. Ian Hammett almost equalised shortly after as he stretched to reach a Sam James cross/shot which was just slightly too far in front of him, and he could only deflect the effort wide.

18 minutes into the second half Sandy found the equaliser they had been looking for as substitute Alex Baker crossed for Andrew Wren who looped a header over the keeper which crept under the bar ensuring that he made up for his earlier error. Sandy were now in full flow, and were workinng hard to get the vital goal that would give them the lead, unfortunatley that goal came for Caldecote as they broke quickly after Sandy had lost the ball and a cross into the box was finished by Jack Boyd.

Sandy again lifted themselves and two minutes from the end Mark Jennings took the game to penalties when he equalised, following up an Alex Baker shot that the keeper spilled. Final Score 3 - 3.

The penalty shootout was a close affair as Andrew Wren coolly slotted home the first pen, Boyd then equalised for Caldecote. Alex Baker then stepped up only to shot wide after sending the keeper the wrong way. Dupey then scored to give Caldecote the lead as his penalty crept under the body of Pallister. Craig Baker then squared things up for Sandy, but Lex Jackson restored Caldecotes lead. Both Same James and Ian Hammett scored their spot kicks as did Keri Clayton for Caldecote leaving the scores tied at 4 - 4 with just one pen left. Mark Endersby stepped up and managed to beat Mark Pallister to send Caldecote through. The shootout was a cruel blow to Pallister who had performed well and guessed right on 4 of the 5 penalties, on any other day he would have probably saved them all. Final score 3 - 3 (Caldecote win 5 - 4 on pens)

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (7)
2. Richard Seldon (6)
4. Mark Jennings (7)
5. Andrew Wren (6)
5. Brad Smith (7)
8. Sam James (7)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
15. Daniel Bailey (7)
17. Phil Beall (7)


11. Craig Baker (7)
26. Chris Cooper (6)
38. Alex Baker (7)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Ian Hammett
1 x Andrew Wren
1 x Mark Jennings


2 x Alex Baker
1 x Craig Baker

Man of the Match:

17. Phil Beall


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by