Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Caldecote Reserves

Competition Friendly - Game changed to friendly - Caldecote have folded
Result Caldecote Reserves 0-11 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 09 November 2013
Kick Off 2.00pm

Match Report

Sandy travelled the short distance to Harvey Close in Caldecote for a local derby against bottom of the table Caldecote Reserves who have so far conceded 37 goals in 8 games and are without a point. Sandy were looking to recover from last weeks shock 3-2 defeat to Marabese Ceramics after being 2-0 up. 

Some late fitness tests needed to be completed before the game before Barry could select the starting 11 from the large squad of available players. Once these were complete Barry announced the team which was to continue as a 4-4-2 but with some small changes from last week, with Jennings being pushed up into his more natural position of centre midfield alongside McGhee and Gilly creeped in alongside Beally at centre back. This weeks front line was a combination of Liam and Nicky from the reserves. Just as kick off was about to start it began to rain heavily and this made the pitch very dangerous in terms of letting the ball bounce from any long balls. 

The slick ground did mean that Sandy could really get the ball moving around the pitch to create space for each other. For the first 10 minutes the action was limited to the odd pot shot and run down the line from the 2 Ryans. Beally also made a run but nothing came of it. Caldecote did worry for a split second as they brok free down Sandys left and the ball was whipped in dangerously infront of Pally but the Caldecote forward wasn't able to get on the end of it and Pally managed to clear. McGhee was dictating play in the midfield and with 15 minutes gone he found the ball from deep, and with Sandy pressing high Jennings had made a run into the box. A simple clip over the top was met by Jennings head to finish neatly over the keeper. 1-0.

This then opened the flood gates, Burgess was getting more and more space and was really putting the pressure onto the Caldecote left back with his direct running and determination. Some very dangerously low whipped crosses were just about cleared and this led to a couple of corners which came to nothing, however the pressure was starting to tell and Gregory won a free kick out wide with some quick feet. He whipped the ball into the 6 yard box and Liam managed to get a faint touch of his neck to direct it goalwards and the ball bounced directly in the wet patch underneath the goalie and the ball went through his legs. 2-0. Sandy continued to push on and were rewarded again with a Gregory corner which was this time met with Beallys head who got some luck as the keeper wasn't able to get a strong enough palm on it and it went into the top corner after some confusion between the keeper and his defender. 3-0.

With time still left in the first half, Sandy played possibly their best piece of football yet, some very quick passing and movement in the middle of the park ended with the ball played out wide to Ryan Burgess who this time went towards the byline,with the full back beaten he really zipped the ball in low and hard and Liam was perfectly placed to guide the ball into the bottom left corner and it was now 4-0. Sandy were still adding that pressure as they looked to inflict more pain on Caldecotes inexperienced Reserves side. Liam managed to get himself a first half hat trick as again he broke clear of the defenders and as the ball come accross him he shot first time with his left foot and this clipped the post. A very good goal indeed that was made to look very easy. 5-0 (need to know who made the assist for this one I think?). Caldecote held out from then till half time but more was to come in the second half.

Sandy started off without any changes in the second half, though they did have a bit of a slow start for the first 10 minutes, a bit like in the first half. Sandy were still dominating play though and Caldecote really didn't have any answers themselves when coming up against Sandys defence and midfield dominance. Sandy were struggling to break through though now as the linesman for some reason had suddenly become a big part of the game, after giving nearly no offiside calls in the first half his flag was constantly going up whoever broke free one on one. It tooks a very scrappy goal to get the goals flowing again and as a succession of blocks were made, the ball fell to Nicky who had an easy time picking an unmanned part of the goalmouth. 6-0. Next to provide Liam with a goal was Shane, who was getting further up the pitch as the game went on, interchanging passes with those infront and alongside him. Liam was having a field day and he was only too happy to slot away another goal from Shanes crossfield ball. 7-0

Then came the changes from Sandy as they looked to continue adding the pressure and to give the other players a decent run out. On came Burton for Burgess, soon after that it was Jakes and Nathan on for McGhee and Shane. This changed Sandys approach slightly as more balls were being played from deep on the right because of Burtons creativity and Nathan was trying to dribble his way down the left, both resulted in positive outcomes with more chances being created for the front line. Nicky was to double his goal tally for the season to 4 in 2 games (for the 1st team) as he latched onto Liams pass to slide past the goalie giving him no chance and to make it 8-0 now. Liam was now looking to get the infamous double hattrick and he was given the chance on a plate for his next 2 goals with near identical goals. The first being from Burton as he played a lovely ball over the top from deep for Liam to run onto, all it took was another made to look easy finish just inside the post as the goalie was rushing out. the second of these balls was played by Pete but this time it was bent around the defence ragther than over the top and again Liam just slipped it under the goalie and it was now 10-0 and he had his double hat trick. Aside from some more very good runs from Ryan Gregory andsome half decent corners there wasn't much left to write about as Caldecote had looked a beaten opponent for a very long time.

In the final piece of action, Although it looked like Liam was now done for the day as he strolled about in the remaining few minutes, he still had the decency to finish off Burtons lovely whipped in cross to the near post after the corner had broken down. He diverted the ball into the opposite corner with his head to push Sandys goal difference for the season even higher. It will take a big effort to take top scorer off him now. Sandy will have hoped to have sent out a message that last week against Marabese was a blip and that they mean business this season. They have a week off on the 16th and will hope the top teams drop points in the games they have in hand. They return to action on the 23rd with another big test against 3rd placed(as of 15/11/13) Sundon Park Rangers who have the second highest biggest scoring record after Sandy. Sandy will need to put in a big, big performance to come out winners. Lets start another good run of wins!!!

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (1)
2. Peter Rogan (1)
3. Ryan Gregory (1)
3. Shane Pope (1)
4. Mark Jennings (1)
7. Ryan Burgess (1)
8. Tom Mcghee (1)
9. Liam Brophy (1)
16. David Gill (1)
17. Phil Beall (1)
20. Nicky Albone (1)


11. Tom Burton (1)
13. Nathan Morris (1)
18. Ian Jakes (1)

Goal Scorers:

7 x Liam Brophy
2 x Nicky Albone
1 x Phil Beall
1 x Mark Jennings


2 x Ryan Gregory
2 x Tom Burton
1 x Liam Brophy
1 x Ryan Burgess
1 x Tom Mcghee
1 x Shane Pope
1 x Nicky Albone
1 x Peter Rogan


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by