Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Marston Shelton Rovers

Competition League - Division One
Result Marston Shelton Rovers 1-0 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 09 October 2010
Kick Off 2.30pm

Match Report

Sandy travelled to high flying Marston on the back of a resounding home victory against Brache last week. Manager Ian Hammett decided to stick with the same formation as last week, but two changes were forced upon him as he was missing JJ Peksyzc and Mark Pallister. Matt Hall returned to Sandy to make his season debut in goal for the first team, and Matt Evans was restored to the starting line up after missing last weeks win.

Sandy knew that they had to be on it from the start, as the home side had failed to drop a point all season and start well they did. Sandy tore into Marston straight from Kick off, ensuring that they pressured at every opportunity and snuffed out every Marston attack. Marston were obviously comfortable in possession as they looked to play through the visitors, but Sandy's defence held firm with Phil Beall and Matt Evans excelling at the heart of the back four and Shane Pope returning to form with an excellent display at left back.

Matt Hall was also having an outstanding afternoon as he made a string of fine saves throughout the first half when the Sandy backline did falter. However even MOTM Hall could do nothing about the only goal of the game that came midway through the first half. Phil Beall missed a tackle on the left flank allowing the Marston forward to race clear and square the ball to his unmarked partner to coolly slot home past a helpless Hall in the Sandy goal.

Sandy though should of been ahead before this though as Ian Hammett missed a gilt edged chance ten minutes into the contest. Tommy Simpson broke the Marston offside trap and squared the ball to Hammett just inside the box, but Hammetts effort was straight at the keeper who stayed big to save well. Following the Marston goal though Sandy were the better side for long periods during the first half and really should have gone in level at the very least. The Marston Keeper was having a splendid afternoon and was to deny Hammett once again on 25 minutes, Matt Evans released Hammett down the left wing who cut inside the defender into the box and looked to bend a shot into the far corner only to see the keeper stretch and get a strong hand to the ball to push it out. Neither Tommy Simpson or Dean Hains could capitalise though to tap the ball home. Craig Baker then had a header well saved from a long throw and Matt Evans had a deflected effort comfortably saved. The Marston defence then managed to scramble the ball clear of Chris Jennings 12 yards out, after an excellent run and square from Ian Hammett down the right. Half time 1 - 0.

Sandy started the second half as they ended the first and were considered the to be the better team for long periods as they pushed looking for an equaliser. Phil Beall made up for his first half error, as he managed to recover to clear a goal bound lob off of the line after Hall had been beaten. Apart from this scare though and a couple of dangerous corners Sandy looked untroubled at the back. This allowed them to build a platform to begin to dominate the game.

Clear cut chances though were hard to come by for the visitors in the second half during the early stages but in the last twenty minutes Sandy were the dominant force. It was an error by the home side that almost led to a Sandy equaliser as Dean Hains latched onto a poor backpass to round the keeper, but as the defence recovered he sqaured the ball, Ian Hammett had raced into support Hains, but a defender recovered to reach the ball and clear for a corner, when Hammett would of had a simple tap in. Hammett was then involved in Sandy's next chance as after good work from Shane Pope, Hammett whipped in a left footed cross towards the head of Mark Jennings. However the Marston keeper was again very brave to punch the ball clear under pressure from Jennings, only to see Craig Baker shoot wide from the knock down.

The keeper then made his second special save of the afternoon, as from a Dean Hains corner Charlie Seward worked a piece of magic. Seward chipped the ball over his marker at the back post and then tried a deft lob into the far corner. The Keeper somehow recovered to claw the ball out from under the bar and away for a corner unbelievebly good save from the Marston stopper. He then saved well from Ian Hammett who latched into a Mark Jennings flick on, but Hammett couldn't quite lob the on rushing keeper.

Sandy deserved to be the first side to take points off Marston this season, but it wasn't to be as they couldn't make the breakthrough that their performance warranted. However manager Ian Hammett was happy with what he called 'our best performance of the season'. The visitors can take great heart from this performance and look forward to the rest of the upcoming season. Final score 1 - 0. 

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

2. Richard Seldon (8)
3. Shane Pope (8)
3. Matt Evans (8)
4. Mark Jennings (8)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
11. Craig Baker (8)
11. Tommy Simpson (7)
17. Phil Beall (8)


4. Charlie Seward (7)


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by