Sandy 1st Team: Match Report v Meltis Albion

Competition League - Division One
Result Meltis Albion 2-2 Sandy 1st Team
Date Saturday 11 December 2010
Kick Off 2.00pm

Match Report

Sandy extended their unbeaten run to four games, but were left frustrated as they lost a two goal lead against fourth place Meltis Albion. With both sides having not played for a couple of weeks due to the big freeze the game was scrappy during the opening exchanges with everybody struggling to settle on the ball and passes going astray.

Sandy did almost open the scoring though early in the contest as Mark Jennings played the ball through to Craig Baker, but the keeper came out to block only for the ball to break to Charlie Seward on the edge of the box but his goalbound shot towards the empty net was blocked by a Meltis centre back. Meltis however did seem to settle the quickest and began to play some good football, attacking mainly down the Sandy left. Sandy were continually giving the ball away and causing themselves problems as they couldn't find the rythym that they had had in previous games.

Mark Pallister made a good one on one save to keep the scores level and the Sandy backline worked hard to ensure they would not be beaten by the home side. It was against the run of play when Sandy took the lead, a Shane Pope throw was flicked on by Ian Hammett and Mark Jennings held off his marker to fire a superb shot in from 25 yards out, giving the Meltis keeper absolutely no chance. The goal settled the visitors somewhat and they began to enjoy periods of possession that would have created more chances had their final ball not let them down on several occasions. They were almost made to pay when Ian Hammett gave the ball away and it was only a goalline block from Phil Beall that saved the managers blushes.

Tommy Simpson had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 just before half time as Charlie Seward whipped in a lovely ball from the right to find him in the box, but his first time shot looped up and over the bar. Despite good possession for both sides there were very few chances of note to add to the scoring and at half time Sandy had a hard earned lead. They knew that the next goal in the contest could well be all important and manager Ian Hammett stressed the need to make sure it was them who scored the goal, and Sandy started the second half fired up forcing Meltis to give the ball away.

Sandy did get the second goal and it was Hammett who finally managed to break his goal drought. Charlie Seward dinked a lovely ball over the top which Hammett took in his stride and then with all the composure that has been lacking in the last few weeks he rounded the keeper and tapped the ball into the empty net. Sandy were looking good for there two nil lead as well and they were cruising. However two nil can be a dangerous lead and so it proved when with thirty minutes to go Meltis got back into the contest with a scrappy goal. Meltis took an excellent corner that didn't get cleared and one of their players managed to rifle the ball home through a crowd of players into the roof of the net.

The goal lifted the home side and Sandy came under sustained pressure for ten minutes. A succession of corners were well cleared and defended by the visitors. Mark Pallister was looking dominant in goal, with Matt Evans and Phil Beall once again outstanding at the heart of the defence. Shane Pope and Richard Seldon again looked solid and with Mark Jennings having a superb game at the centre of Sandy's midfield the visitors looked solid. Depsite being under the cosh Hammett almost grabbed his second goal as he latched onto a diagonal through ball from Tommy Simpson, but his first time shot from twenty five yards curled wide.

Craig Baker was causing problems for the home side as well and he managed to relieve the pressure by winning a string of free kicks, and it looked like Sandy would be able to hang onto their lead and even score a third. However as the clock wound down Sandy's final ball let them down. Mark Pallister again had to make a good save to keep the scores the same and last ditch tackling from Evans and Beally ensured that Pally was protected.

Sandy did have chances to kill the game, but Seward and Baker both shot wide from the edge of thge box, Hammett headed over from 8 yards when he maybe could of done better and neither Darren Gipson or Phil Beall could get on th end of a wicked curling corner delivered by Hammett as the goalkeeper punched clear under pressure. Sandy were left to rue these chances that went begging as with 30 seconds left on the clock a Meltis player hit a 35 yard wonder strike that Pally got his hand too but couldn't keep it out as it flew into the top corner. This stunned the visitors as they had felt the three points were in the bank, but on the balance of play a draw was probably a fair result. However Sandy felt like they had lost the game. Final score 2-2.


Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

1. Mark Pallister (8)
2. Richard Seldon (8)
3. Matt Evans (8)
3. Shane Pope (8)
4. Charlie Seward (7)
4. Mark Jennings (9)
9. Ian Hammett (7)
11. Craig Baker (7)
11. Tommy Simpson (7)
17. Phil Beall (8)
36. Ray McKeating (7)


20. Darren Gipson (6)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Ian Hammett
1 x Mark Jennings


1 x Charlie Seward
1 x Ian Hammett

Man of the Match:

4. Mark Jennings


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy 1st Team 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by