Sandy Reserves: Match Report v Bedford Panthers

Competition Cup - Watson Shield Round One
Result Sandy Reserves 1-4 Bedford Panthers
Date Saturday 31 December 2011
Kick Off 2.00pm

Match Report

Sandy Reserves had the unfortunate luxury of being given a fixture on New Years Eve, and although initial thoughts turned to would players be away and unavailable when Tony checked with his players this proved to not be the case. The biggest challenge for him was selecting the side, as unbelievably a full squad was available and if needed there was also the opportunity to use additional 2 first team players (Mark Pallister and Rob Tapley) that were not cup tied.


After a great deal of thought the team was selected, a full complement from the reserves team list was selected, Tony felt that the aim should be to field a team that could continue into the next round if Sandy were succesful and progressed in the competition. Sandy were soon to see this would be a tough task as the opposition arrived it soon became apparent the team that we were against, seemed to be a stronger side than when they faced each other in the league match.


It was always going to be a tough battle as both sides seemed up for the contest. Sandy held their own as the match got under way, but found it hard to deal with the long ball played over the top as the quick Panthers striker made good use of the space. This happened on a couple of occasions and some errors cost the home side as the panthers capitalised to move into a 2-0 lead. It could have been 3-0 except the Panthers striker much to the amusement of the Sandy fans fell over when clean through one on one with Phil Cooper.


Sandys midfield was battling hard with Ryan Gregory and Reece Stratton in the centre, Danny Hoole on the right and Brad Dennis on the left. When they had the ball the played some great short passing between the team, which allowed Sandy to push forward and create some attempts on goal, from Jonnie Stratford and Chris Gregory. Danny Hoole created the goal for Jonnie how latched onto a ball over the top and calmly rounded the keeper to slot the ball home and reduce the deficit.


The back line was working hard with Burgess, Rogan, Pope and Flynn, but they continually pushed up high leaving the long ball over the top to be the way forward for Bedford Panthers. This resulted in the same outcome as the visitors bagged another couple of goals.


The game was lost 4 - 1 but not without challenge and strength from a well sorted side. Ryan Gregory was voted MOTM for the second week in a row. The team remained with their heads high as the score line didn't resemble the true passion of the game and manager Tony Gregory felt that his team deserved more from the contest.


Despite the loss there was a bit of a treat after the game for the team, as food (Chilli) was ready to be served, the food was funded by Barry Mills and prepared and cooked by Tony and his wife Jean.


The support on the side line from first team players and family was a great encouragement and very welcome as 11 of the squad were in attendance, and the remainder of the afternoon was spent in the club house, enjoying the food and beer, a good way to end the year for Sandy FC even if the result wasn't favourable. Final score 1-4.

Match Stats

Starting Line-up:

5. Peter Rogan (9)
8. Chris Gregory (9)
13. Reece Stratton (9)
14. Matt Flynn (9)
15. Reece Pope (9)
17. Danny Hoole (9)
21. Jonny Stratford (9)
29. Ryan Burgess (9)
31. Ryan Gregory (10)


16. Gareth Seldon (9)
16. Adam Hales (9)
50. John Sheppard (9)

Goal Scorers:

1 x Jonny Stratford


1 x Danny Hoole

Man of the Match:

31. Ryan Gregory


Bottom Navigation

© Sandy Reserves 2018
Website powered by

Become a Referrer and earn up to £18.00 every year for every team you refer that subscribes to

  • Submit this page to Digg
  • Bookmark this page with
  • Bookmark this page with Reddit
  • Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon
  • Bookmark this page with Facebook is powered by is powered by